Sunday, October 21, 2012

AS 47: Crown Tournament scroll-2

This is a little scroll by my standards, halfpage size.  It s based upon the breviary of Marie de Gueldre the dutchess of Gueldre and Juliers folio number 19 where Marie is depicted as the Virgin mary surrounded by many of the happy flowers and thistles in the Utrechtian style.

In the manuscript the flowers are only blue and red, but I added the gold flowers as a way to harmoniously bring in the yellow of the panache and the yellow of the Kampfrou dress she is wearing.  While I realize this is slightly incorrect termanology for someone who makes Landsknect dresses, its the only word I could think of to describe the style. Facebook provided me with that portrait of the recipient in the dress she made herself when I went looking.   

1 comment: