Saturday, November 17, 2012

Alessandra's Sun and Chalice

Posted this one on Facebook but I forgot to put up the process and documentation here on ze blog. 




I was told that the recipient did late period Italian and took it fairly seriously, so I squealed with joy and got out my book on the Borso D'Este Bible, which is one of the most intricate and detailed pieces that I've ever had the pleasure of working from. 

Now I had every intention of adding in the rose panel on the side, but when I wrote up my text I realized that I just could not make it fit in the space I had allotted myself if I had the rose, so I left it with just the award encircled in the vinework that is typical to this manuscript. 
The capital letters I took from other pages of this manuscript, making sure that I found one in each color that I favored in the scroll, for the sake of balance.
This was done with gold leaf, guache and drawing ink and written in a Gothic Bastarde hand.  I will note that I did not have the normal problems with the gold leaf in this piece as I usually do.  It could be that I was only guilding little dots, but, it still needs to be said.  

 

TEXT:

Insulae draconis, rising sun of Drachenwald, hear the words of your soverigns Clancy and Ursula prince and princess of the great island principality held during the reign of King Paul and the Queen Aryanhwy.

Upon the islands we, your pince and princess have in our power the right and sole privelege to reward the excellent example shown by our subjects in their support of the bright sun of our beloved principality but also to the kingdom of the black dragon.

Long have we heard tell of the great work of our Dutchess Alessandra Melusine and we do see it fit to reward a lifetime of service and do offer her entry in to the Order of the Sun and Chalice, partially for her long love of textile arts. 

As shown here, the badge of the order to be worn henceforth after this the (NUMBER) day of August here at Ffair Rhaglen.


No comments:

Post a Comment